- Think about what things you like and don't like about your current kitchen or ones you have had in the past. Write them down. Always make notes to refer back to.
- Get ideas. There are many great magazines available on Kitchen and Bath ideas and remodeling to help get you started.
- Think about what type of cabinetry you want. Do you want Painted or Stained? Oak, Maple, Cherry, or Hickory?
- Learn about Countertop materials. Do you want Laminate, Ceramic Tile, Solid Surface, or Granite?
- Look at appliances. Decide what types of appliances you need. Get accurate dimensions of size and rough openings for appliances you plan to use. Remember, to order cabinetry you must have these dimensions to know what size cabinet you need.
- Take accurate measurements of your kitchen (see our Measuring Guide). Draw a floor plan of you existing cabinetry and one showing items you would like to change.
- Study the "NKBA Guidelines".